You’ve been rocking those mink lashes all day, but now it’s time to take them off. What next? There are several different ways to remove false strip eyelashes, and all of them aim to soften the lash glue to release the lash. This is critical, as trying to pull the false eyelashes off without loosening the glue can cause you to break your falsies, pull out your own eyelashes or even tear the delicate skin around your eyes.
One of the simplest ways to remove false strip eyelashes is by using eyelash glue remover. This can be found at many beauty supply retailers or online. You’ll get the best results if you choose a remover that is the same brand as the glue you use since they’re designed to be compatible. You can also use eye makeup remover with similar results. If you’re using glue or makeup remover:
- First take off your eye makeup. This allows you to get the remover directly onto the lash line in contact with the glue.
- Next, take a small amount of remover on a cotton pad or swab and saturate the cotton. Rub the glue line gently until you can’t see any more glue, and then let it sit for up to 30 seconds.
- Pull off the lash and use the remover soaked cotton to remove any last bits of glue.
Another method for removing false eyelashes is to use steam. Steam can loosen the glue enough to pull off the lash, as well as providing a facial effect on your skin. To do this:
- Once again, begin by taking off your makeup. This will let the steam get directly to the glue on the lash.
- Take a facial steamer or bowl of very hot water and drape a towel around your head.
- Allow the steam to waft over your face for 3-5 minutes. Check your eyelashes and see if the glue has loosened. If not, continue to steam until the glue is soft.
- Once the glue has softened, pull of the lash and use makeup remover to remove any residual glue.
Yet another effective way is to use oil to remove the glue. If you use oil, however, it will render the eyelash useless to wear again, so make sure you use a different method if you want to reuse your lashes. If you want to use oil:
- Choose any type of skin-safe oil that you’d like. Good options for this are baby oil, coconut oil or olive oil.
- Dampen your eyes with warm water. There is no need to take off your makeup first since oil will break down the makeup as well as the glue.
- Rub a small amount of the oil into the lash line with your fingers.
- Alternate wetting your eyes with warm water and rubbing the lashes with oil until the false eyelashes loosen and you can remove them.
- Once you take off the false eyelashes, wash your face to remove the oil.
Whichever method you use, make sure your focus is on softening the eyelash glue before you attempt to tug the lash off you eye. If you do this, removing false eyelashes is an easy and simple process that adds less than 5 minutes to your routine, making falsies a perfect accessory for a glamorous all-day look.